Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Is it weird?

Hey y'all!

    Ok, so is it weird that I love to go in old grown up cemeteries? Because I do! I adore it! I have always liked to go in them, but I never really truly  loved it like I do now, until one day on our honeymoon 4 yrs ago, when hubby and  I were walking  the sidewalks of Charleston. We were walking past the Unitarian church and saw a couple walking out of this old ally with a brick walkway, and  to anyone walking by, it just looked like a walkway to someones house, or a forbidden garden. When I asked the woman walking out what was back there and could anyone go in, she  said it's the coolest, most peaceful cemetery I have ever seen, you have to go  in there! And of course that peaked my interest and before hubby could say anything we were  walking down the brick walkway that leads to it.
     I was already happy with just the walkway, it was so peaceful, and a cool escape from the heat. There were a few gates leading to gardens, with lots of plants and lizards, which I loved! And a bench under a tree against a very old brick wall as you can see in the picture below, I could have sat right there all day and been perfectly content. I love old trees and old brick, and put them together, pure heaven!

                                               Here are some pictures of the brick walkways throughout the cemetery

               
                                    This is part of the main walkway

The cemetery is fenced in and locked at night, which is good I think because of vandalism, I would hate to see anything happen to these graves that have withstood time, earthquakes, and hurricanes. The Unitarian church was built in 1772 at the start of the revolutionary war. For more info and history of the church itself here is their website http://www.charlestonuu.org/ , you should check it out, there is some really cool facts about the church during the war and the fire that almost destroyed it but the cemetery was untouched!
   At first glance the cemetery looks neglected, but I learned that it is kept natural on purpose, which I absolutely love! There are beautiful plants and flowers growing up over the old head stones, very tropical and if you love lizards and nature, then you will love this place!
One of the most beautiful head stones I saw throughout the whole cemetery was the one in the picture below, it just amazed me how the tree grew up over the head stone and has become part of it, I couldn't take my eyes off of it.
I would love to come in here at night, because they say  it is haunted, and I don't know if everyone out there believes in spirits and ghosts, but I do, and I have been to this cemetery 3 times, but on our last trip, last month, we were walking around taking pictures and relaxing,  and I got chills from my head to my toes, the hairs on my body stood up, and I got the feeling that we were not alone. It wasn't a bad or threatening feeling, but a calm, peaceful feeling. And let me add that it was 80 degrees outside. The feeling did not leave me until I stepped out of the cemetery and onto the sidewalk, and I have to say, I loved it!
  Going in this cemetery  is like a treasure hunt, it makes you feel like you are in a forbidden, forgotten garden. When you go, take the time to look at each and every head stone, pull bushes and limbs back, don't miss anything! Walk to each and every corner and soak it up! Oh, and interesting little tid bit I learned last time,  for you Edgar Allen Poe fans out there. Supposedly, Annabel Lee is buried here, and someone told me she was a love interest of Edgar's. For more info there is cool website you should check out, here is the link http://www.graveaddiction.com
     So I will leave you with the rest of the pictures I have taken over the years, you should make this a stop on your next trip to Charleston, if you like old cemeteries that is! God Bless!










   

No comments:

Post a Comment