Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Rutledge Victorian

Hey y'all,

     Hubby and I have our 4th wedding anniversary on Thursday, and I was reminiscing on our honeymoon to Charleston. The first 3 days of our honeymoon, we stayed at a bed and breakfast called the Rutledge Victorian. I am sad to say that is closed a few months after we stayed there, the owner moved and I have no idea what became our favorite B&B. Do you any of you local Charlestonians know what became of it?

   I fell head over heels in love with it! The owners were so sweet, and I felt right at home. It was kinda funny, hubby and I are night owls, so we stayed out kinda late, and when we went back to the B&B the first night, we had a key to use in the front door. And boy did I love that door! Anyway, when we opened the door, it squeaked, and my husband said it felt like we were sneaking in past our curfew.

  I didn't tell my husband at the time, but that B&B was said to have been one of the most haunted homes in Charleston. If I had told him before hand, he would not have stayed there, he hates anything haunted, but I love it, as long it's nice haunted and not horror movie haunted! The story I heard was, that was a fire one night that started in the top of the house, which at the time had 5 floors. One of the children of the family living there, died in the fire. They rebuilt the house, so it appears to only have 4 floors. They say Sara turns lights on and off, sits on the beds, and sometimes people see her looking through the window in the top floor, and you can occasionally smell smoke real strong. I did  not encounter any of that, but I wish I had! I don't know whole story of the home, but I am sure you could find it online. I wish the B&B was still open, I would love to stay there for our anniversary!! And if any of you know it's current status I would love to find out about it! Below are the pictures we took while staying there.






The former owner had a bunch of rescued dogs, and at night she would let them run around the porch with the guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment